Friday, 8 September 2017

Hammer Horror Films Come To Mind

A Northampton churchyard photographed at night highlighting the various headstones


This churchyard scene with a gravestone silhouetted at night was my first attempt at long exposure night photography.  It was taken with my first digital camera, a budget priced Olympus Camedia C-725.  The same little camera I used for the dragonfly photo also featured in this blog.

As far as I can remember, 'that far back', the settings that I used would have been in the region of - film speed 400ASA, aperture f8, and an exposure time of around 8secs.  
The thing I do distinctly remember, however, is that it took quite a number of frustrating attempts before I achieved an image that I was reasonably happy with.

When I got home and looked at the photo on the computer, I was instantly reminded of the many happy hours spent as a lad sitting in a smoky cinema (under age) watching virtually every Hammer Horror film that came out.  In the image above I could easily imagine Christopher Lee, draped in his trademark black cloak, rising up from inside one of the graves.  

On a historical note, the churchyard where I took the photo is in the Abington area of Northampton, which contains the grave of Elizabeth Barnard, who was the granddaughter of the famous poet and playwright, William Shakespeare.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Long Legged Photographer in Shadow

I had travelled to the city with the intention of photographing the interior of the cathedral and in particular the tomb of Katherine...